Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My Trip to Chinatown

Even though I have lived in Oakland all my life, I had never been to Chinatown. Yesterday was my first time actually going and walking around there. Before I went, my perceptions of Chinatown were that it was going to be just like being in China, which it was. There were Asian people everywhere, Asian stores, Asian restaurants, Asian street signs, Asian everything! So, my perceptions didn't change at all, it was pretty much everything I expected.


There are major differences between Chinatown and Fruitvale like the people, the cultures, the stores, the surroundings. Fruitvale is full of pretty much nothing but Latinos, while Chinatown has nothing but Asians. I didn’t really find any similarities between the two. One thing that surprised me a lot was the food. I never knew that the Chinese food we're used to eating is very American. My teacher Mr. Lee who was with me on this trip, and who just so happens to be Chinese was telling me how real Chinese food was very different to let’s say Panda Express and how he didn’t think that Americans could handle it. So we went to a very Chinese restaurant with real Chinese food, and what could I say! It was definitely different. I loved the food, the textures were different, as well as the taste, but I really liked it a lot. My favorite thing that I tried was the pig meat, and this type of bread covered in noodles, they were yummy!

5 comments:

Life Academy said...

Hey Ale! I was really happy that you tried new foods with us. I learned new things from Mr. Lee, too! That's what this project is all about, right -- we're here to learn from each other. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blogs. Keep writing about what you know, and be real. It's nice to hear your voice.
Mrs. F

Nani said...

It is good to try new food and to go to a new place you didn't know. To see the difference in different communities.

Ernesto said...

i've never been to china town either and i lived here all my life.

Ernesto said...

i've never been to china town either and i lived here all my life.

Lee said...

I'm so proud of you for trying new types of food. Not a lot of people are as adventurous as you were... Especially with the minced bbq pork wrapped in rice noodle. For some reason a lot of my non-Chinese friends do not like the gelatinous flacid noodles.

You are so right about the Panda Express. I'm sure most Mexicans don't consider Taco Bell as real Mexican food.